Homemade satay chicken skewers on a bed of cauliflower rice with some sweet potato wedges
This dish is a great alternative to the usual take-away version, and tastes so good! Clean eating isn’t all about chicken, rice & broccoli you know, as surprising as that may seem in the bodybuilding world! 😛
In order for anyone to sustain a lifestyle of healthy eating, without it being a 4, 8 or 12-week plan, they must learn to love the food they are eating. It does’t mean you have to refrain from all your favourite foods. There are always ways to alter dishes to make them much more healthy and letting you enjoy your favourite meals withour any guilt.
Remember, Live to eat, not Eat to live!
Instead of ordering in a takeaway for a catch up with a good friend, I decided to make something healthy so we didn’t have to feel the guilt afterwards! I think it was a hit 😉 Give it a go!
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, grated or finely chopped.
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Salt & Pepper
- Grate or blitz the cauliflower into a rice-like consistency.
- Heat a pan over a medium-low heat and add coconut oil & garlic.
- Add cauliflower rice and stir continuously until cooked through (will start to brown slightly).
- Season with salt and pepper
Sweet Potato Fries:
- 1 large sweet potato
- Seasoning (cajun spices, paprika, salt, pepper)
- A small drizzle of melted coconut oil (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Slice sweet potato in wedges & par-boil over a medium heat for a 3-4 minutes.
- Drain water from the wedges and season well before drizzling with coconut oil (if using).
- Spread evenly on grease-proof baking paper.
- Cook until golden brown, turning half way. Should take between 10-15 minutes depending on oven.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 red or white onion
- 1/2 bell pepper
- Make skewers adding chopped bell pepper, chicken & onion to wooden/metal skewers.
- Grill for 10-15 mins, turning halfway.
- Prepare satay sauce while chicken is cooking.
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- chilli flakes (to your taste)
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- Juice of 1 small lime
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 heaped tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp coconut, shredded
- Water as needed
- To a heated pan, add coconut oil, cumin, chilli, coriander, onion and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients with water, adding more depending on the desired consistency.
- Leave to simmer for around 10 mins, stirring well.
- Spread onto skewers when cooked and return to oven/grill for a further 3-5 minutes.
- Serve the skewers with cauliflower rice & some sweet potato wedges along with some satay sauce as a dipping sauce.
- Alternatively you could dice the chicken and cook in the same pan as the satay sauce, serving with rice or cauliflower rice for a curry-type meal 🙂
Give it a go and tag @caloriesandcarbs on Facebook or Instagram!