I’m not sure I know many people who don’t like peanut butter or chocolate, and if I do-shame on you! haha.
However, PLEASE bear in mind that, unfortunately, the majority of these ‘clean treats’ you see on Instagram and the likes cannot be eaten in big amounts without feeling bad about it afterwards 🙁
Although they are made from minimally processed, healthy & real foods – they do still contain calories! I know, sad times!
I am presuming if you are reading this, then you are someone that is interested in healthy foods and alternatives to junk food; so if you are – this applies to you! If you aren’t, and are still reading this, then go and make them & eat as many as you want!! Nom nom! 😛
Anyway I’m rambling, so –YES, they are a healthier alternative to the processed junk food that they are trying to replicate, (Reeses in this case), but keep in mind their macronutrient count when you consume them, so that you stay on track with your own eating plan.
Now get to the kitchen:
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (The good stuff! See my blog post here on how to choose your peanut butter)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional-may use more peanut butter but macro count will change)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2-3 tbsp almond milk (unsweetened)
- 1 bar Lindt 85% dark chocolate (or 100g any dark chocolate over 70%)
You will need
- Line the cupcake tray with cases (10 should do).
- Use half the chocolate and half the coconut oil and melt over a simmering pan of water.
- While this is melting, get your peanut butter and protein powder as well as splash of vanilla essence and bind together. Use the almond milk when needed if it gets too thick (it will).
- Using a spoon, pour some of the chocolate mixture into the cases and turn sideways whilst constantly turning, so the chocolate goes up the sides as well as the bottom. Repeat this until at least half way up the liner is coated in chocolate. Place in freezer to set (10 mins or so).
- Get the remaining chocolate and coconut oil melting now.
- Remove cases from the freezer once they are set & spoon a teaspoon of the peanut butter mixture into the centre of each case, pressing down.
- Pour the remaining chocolate over the peanut butter cases until covered completely.
- Return the tray to the freezer and allow to set fully (15-20 mins approx).
There you have it, the perfect ‘clean’ treat for the sweet-toothed among us 😀
If you try these feel free to tag me in your masterpieces on instagram or facebook – #caloriesandcarbs
Nutritional Info (serving = 1 protein & peanut butter cup)
Please bear in mind macro count will vary depending on the exact brands you use with regards to the Peanut Butter, Protein, Chocolate etc.