I got a request for a healthier version of this ‘so good – but sooo bad’ popular takeaway food. So off I went to the kitchen to see what I could do.
After figuring out the spices/herbs were pretty basic and consistent in most recipes – I decided to try get that spiced tomato-ey, creamy consistency. Cause that makes sense…
Anyway! This is what I came up with:
Spices at the ready……
Taco Sauce: makes 2-3 servings
•150ml tomato passata/sauce
•2 tsp white vinegar
•2 tsp ground cumin
•1/2 tsp garlic salt (or 1/2 salt 1/2 powder)
•1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
•1/4 tsp paprika
•1/4 tsp chilli powder
•1/4 tsp sugar
•2-3 tbsp Greek yogurt (per serving)
•1-2 tbsp water
Seasoning for mince: (serves 2)
•1 tsp cumin
•1 tsp paprika
•1/2 tsp salt
•1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
•1/2 tsp garlic powder
•1/2 tbsp mixed herbs
•250g lean minced beef
•200g tomato passata/sauce/tinned tomatoes
•2 medium potatoes, cut into thin chips
•fry lite or oil spray
•2 tbsp low fat mozzarella
For the sauce:
1. Mix everything EXCEPT Greek yoghurt in a pan and simmer for 10-15 minutes til thick.
2. Set aside to cool.
3. Add 2-3 tbsp Greek yogurt to a bowl and then add 1-2 tbsp of the sauce mixture and mix well. Taste as you go and add more sauce to the Greek yoghurt as necessary.
For the potatoes/chips:
1. Cut into thin chips and par boil in water til you can almost put a fork through the potato.
2. Set the oven to 200 C.
3. Spray a baking tray with oil and spray the chips before spreading on baking tray and cooking for 10-15 minutes.
4. Toss the chips and continue to cook until golden.
For the mince:
1. Spray some oil in a pan and add chopped onions. Cook til browned.
2. Add the minced and mix until cooked. Add the seasoning mixture 1/2 way through and mix well.
3. Simmer and add tomatoes/sauce and leave on low heat.
Once the chips are cooked, divide into 2 portions. Top with mince mixture, followed by taco sauce, and top off with 2 tbsp cheese before grilling 🍟Yum!
The perfect Friday night ‘Fakeaway’ to keep you on track!
Let me know if you try it 🙂 #caloriesandcarbs